Oct 25, 2011

Bottle Beach

Here's the loot that I hauled home from Bottle Beach last week.  It took a little scrubbing to get the algae out of a few, but for the most part I was amazed that the bottles were largely free of chips and seaweed.  They've been clanking around in the water for half a decade, how is it possible that they're still intact?
Lots of them have patent numbers on the bottom or text on the sides (St.Jospeh's Aspirin, Bayer Aspirin), and I've been having a lot of fun dating and identifying particular brands.   From hair tonic to an additive to make paint stink less, there sure is a lot of interesting antiquity washing up on this beach every week.   I highly recommend checking it out for yourself.

1 comment:

  1. all I can say is wow. I am really amazed by this place. I always forget that there are beaches there because in my mind's eye it's the city. I've really been enjoying all of your excursions around NYC. what will you do with your stash? maybe you could make a strand of tiny bottles around tiny party lights or crochet sweaters for the jars. can't wait to see more Rebecca :)

    ReplyDelete